Ski holidays in France – Choosing the resort to suit your needs
France is probably the top ski destination in Europe with its wide variety of resorts and excellent ski infrastructure. Each ski resort offers something unique, so you’ll need to do your research and make the right selection. Your excellent housekeeping skills will come in handy as the most seemingly trivial details can make a difference to your overall holiday experience. If you’re a beginner skier or travelling with small children, your ski resort should ideally offer local beginner lift passes, a good ski school and gentle nursery slopes. Advanced skiers need to be looking for more challenging terrain, while group travellers need a mixed grading of slopes so that all members of the party are taken care of.
It’s time to pack your bags and head to a ski resort in the French Alps
• Ski in La Plagne: Think traditional, think forest-lined, think picture postcard-perfect. This beautiful resort consists of 10 separate villages with great wooded runs, excellent nursery slopes and good cross-country trails. The ski area that all these resort bases access is one of the world’s largest with more than 225 km (130 miles) of runs. It is served by more than 100 lifts with 2000 metres of vertical down from a glacier that has year round snow cover.
• Ski in Tignes: Tignes is the perfect resort for a fantastic ski holiday with some of Europe’s highest ski runs and one of the world’s largest summer-ski areas on Grande Motte glacier. The ski area is linked to that of neighboring Val d’Isere in a 10,000 hectare ski region called the Espace Killy.
• Ski in Menuires: Les Menuires is a nice contrast to busier slopes and suits all standards, with plenty of slope-side accommodation and a challenging mountain, La Masse. Les Menuires is low on glitz and high on fun. It is popular with boarding enthusiasts, but has enough exciting pistes for all skiers.
Select the Perfect Ski Holiday Destination in France
Choosing the right ski resort to visit in France is a crucial element to ensuring the best ski or snowboard holiday possible. What to look for in the perfect ski holiday resort?
• Where are the biggest ski areas in France with reassuring slopes for beginners, masses of terrain for intermediates, motorway skiing for high mileage cruisers and challenging terrain for experts?
• Which are the most snow-sure ski resorts in the French Alps and where is the best off-piste terrain for powder hounds?
• What are the best deals that can combine ski-lift passes, ski-hire discounts and ski-school instructors?
• Where will you find France’s hidden-gem ski resorts that offer better value for money than busier internationally renowned resorts?
• Where will you find truly spectacular mountain panoramas, scenic Alpine villages, and charming mountain towns?
• Which is the ideal holiday rental accommodation for you – hotel, apartment or ski-chalet? And you’ll need to decide if you prefer to stay on-snow – stepping out of your front door each day and directly onto the slopes, or in town-close to all the après ski action!
• Where are the good restaurants both on and off-mountain to help complete your skiing holiday, ideally without blowing your holiday budget out of proportion?
• How good is the après-ski scene and night-life?
• What winter-sports activities can you enjoy-snow-boarding, ice-skating or snow-mobiles?
Ski holidays can be tailored to suit your every requirement because the options are limitless; you can opt for self-catering accommodation or choose to enjoy a luxurious weekend just as easily, depending on your preferences. With a comprehensive online search portal, you can narrow your search and identify the best ski resorts for you, your family and friends. You’ll be proud of your housekeeping abilities and your holiday companions will thank you for being the perfect planner!